My Glorious Granddaughter is graduating from High School this spring. When I asked her if she would like a quilt she said yes! Could it be a throw size in mint and greys? Okkkaay...she sent me to Hobby Lobby to look at the mint dish rags. Which I carried over to the fabric department to see what I could find. WOW! Didn't realize it is the color this year. Found some beautiful fabrics to use in a star pattern I had found sometime ago. I made up several different blocks using the colors and texted them to her. She picked her favorite arrangement and I got started. Yikes, a lot of HST. Friend said to do at the least part of it as flying geese and here is how you do them 4 at once. That was a great time saver. Once together I laid out several choices on borders and texted her again. Going with what turned out to be both of our favorite layout! I used a large flower meander and leave things. (Technical term) The binding is with the same fabric as the outside border; I really like the look of an infinity edge on quilts that I want your eye to go to the center, not the edge.
I found this free pattern, "Radiance Bloom" by Robin Pickens along with her NEW Thatched basics prints from Moda Fabrics and fell in love with both of them! I used Edyta Sitar's "Olive Branch" fabric from her Laundry Basket Quilts for Andover Fabrics for the binding; Moda Cotton "Natural" for the background; and Cotton Canvas Painter Tarp for the backing.
This was a bear paw block I had made for my Wooley Bear Paw Wall Quilt, but decided not to use this color in it. So, instead, I am using it for one of my I Walked The Line Challenge blocks. This is No. 13 of 52 and did Radiating Lines (WALK by Jacquie Gering) or also called Bright Star (EXPLORE Walking Foot Quilting by Leah Day). I used MSQC Bear Paw of Point Quilt pattern (BLOCK Idea Book Vol 7, Issue 6, 2020, Page 14), only this single block is not on point! I also learned how to make flanged binding thanks to Natalie's MSQC Final Stitch Video. (My new love for binding, from now on! Thank You, Natalie!) Fabric: Woolies Flannel by Bonnie Sullivan Jelly Roll and 10" squares, and Woolies Flannel by Bonnie Sullivan Brown and Black Weave Flannel yardage was used for background and backing.
I have been dabbling in multiple projects (again). This week, I decided to make a couple of floor pillows for a toddler, inspired by a posting I had saved on Pinterest (search, "Toddler Floor Pillows"). I used 2-inch by 16-inch high-density foam inserts, and built my covers around those. I wanted them to be very durable, so I interfaced my pre-washed quilting cotton pieces, double-stitched all seams, and finished the seam raw edges with a two-step zigzag. I used a heavy-duty purse zipper for each cover, as well as woven belting fora carry strap. The second photo is in black and white so that the fabric details show up better. These will be shipped to the Little, in short order.
Also from my Mom's stash were these three fabrics (blue prints) in fairly large quantities. Using the same pattern as from Granddaughters quilt, but putting one of the prints in the center. I ordered by guess and by gosh a white background and sort of turquoise print. Yeah! It worked well enough that with all these was able to get a queen-sized quilt. I will have to edit this when finished; need backing!
My first attempt at a log cabin quilt was many years ago. It was hand pieced, tied and bagged by machine. I still have it but wanted to try some of the new quilting techniques I have learned since undertaking this new hobby before making a new log cabin quilt ( on my to-do list). From my leftover fabrics, I pulled out pieces of red, blue, white -- mostly primary prints to stitch together the log cabin bag. I used • 2-5" squares red print (blocks) • 18-5" squares total assorted cream/yellow prints and light blue prints (blocks) • 18-5" squares total assorted blue prints and black prints (blocks) • 2 store bought red/white stripe heavy duty twine for bag handles -- about 14" • 3⁄8 yard lining print • 3⁄8 yard 1/4" batting My individual finished blocks turned out to be about 3 1/2" square. I used 42" fabric width and precut 5" squares. I used a basic bag pattern and adjusted the blocks to fit the size that I needed. Then quilted it by stitching in the ditch.
Soooooo ready for Spring! I made this table runner using MSQCs Tulip Fields tulips pattern, then alternated/flipped the tulips and put sashing in between each one. The flanged binding is one I recently learned how to make from Natalie's MSQC Final Stitch video, Episode 8: Machine Binding. Fabric: KimberBell basics for Maywood Studio and Kona Cotton Muslin color. The wavy quilting I did with my walking-foot.