The "Matryoshka" dolls (Russian stacking dolls) hold special meaning for our family, having lived in Russia from 1994-2000, so seeing this pattern by Cinderberry Stitches was a must have! I began this project around the end of 2013, and finished it in March this year (2015). Unable to locate the exact fabric listed in the pattern, I headed to my stash and found the perfect choice, which was part of a kit for a different quilt. (I wasn't fond of the quilt pattern in that kit). These colors were spot on, and the layer cake would make almost the perfect size for blocks. This is "Terrain" by Kate Spain. I do love her cheerful colors and designs! This pattern called for slightly larger squares, but as a layer cake contains 10 inch squares, slicing the cake into quarters gave me plenty of 5 inch squares. And since I was adjusting the pattern for a queen size, I just added a few more rows of squares, and an extra row of dolls. Still fairly new to quilting, I made some adjustments to suit my abilities: I used fusible web on the doll bodies, cutting the web 1/4" smaller than the template. I turned the edges in over the webbing, then ironed flat. I machine appliqued the dolls, having needle-turned only their faces. I later wished I had added another row or 2, but extra borders allow for extended drape over my thick mattress and box springs, Quilt backings of 108-inches wide make for shorter work ~ love not having to piece it! My friend Alice and I long-armed this one, during the short-lived ice storm here. I chose a leaf and flower design for border to border quilting on the squares, and a single daisy for the dolls' tummies. I did backing-turned binding and machine stitched it. Was thrilled to find this stitch pattern on the new Janome! I've named my quilt the proper (plural) word for Russian stacking dolls...Matryoshki. and we shall sleep cozily under while dreaming of our years in Russia, and the life-long friends we made there.