For my daughter's British roommate in LA. I've wanted to work in solids for a long time. I'm fascinated by doors--especially the ones people paint red to keep out evil spirits. This quilt design just evolved organically on the fly, as you can see. I just used colors that were pleasing together or NOT pleasing together from my box of solid scraps--mainly strips. I intended to use a sashing of checkered black and white squares, but it was just too much visually, so I pared it down by cutting these strips in half and adding black to both sides for a road. Designing as you go is not the easiest way to work. I was stuck on the bottom row for several weeks before it came together. Also, I took the bottom row apart twice... which is rare for me. I love the little mistakes in a quilt, like an occasional piece sewn wrong side up. But when a color snafu draws your eye to it in confusion or discomfort... that's a problem. My husband is a wildlife artist, and we discussed this top for quite awhile. He asked me, "Where does your eye go first? Then where does it move?" When I answered these questions I was able to figure out how to rework the bottom row for better color balance.
The winter scrap project from 2019-2020. For several years, I have endeavored to do a large quilt from scraps during the winter months. It's my way of trudging through January and February, then waiting out March for spring. With bright colors and batiks, it's hard to throw away the smaller scraps! So I used 1" black sashing and just built blocks in an assembly line. No hurry, it was a joy to work on. I just tried to keep the colors balanced as the blocks grew. Originally, I planned to make the whole quilt one large block. Again, it was just too much. Dividing it with wider black sashing helped settle it down--easier on the eye. That is, the eye can take in one section at a time without being overwhelmed about where to look. This quilt went to a lovely and loving home--always the absolute best outcome!
I created this pattern to pay homage to one of North America's beautiful native creatures, the luna moth. It is comprised of mostly half square triangles, with some flying geese and quarter square components. I (self-guided) quilted this on my Simply 16 long arm on little foot frame.
I finished this Jim Shore small wall hanging. Did meander quilting in the angel part and in the ditch in other places. It was a kit and believe it was a gift. I have had for awhile. I think the blue and orange is called flying geese pattern. Anyway was a lot of cutting to square them and ripping to make them fit the angel panel lengths. When will I ever get even seams??? Not sure I will do that particular square pattern for awhile..
I am trying very hard to get my supplies down to a more workable size. I did finish this Wall hanging of the Psalm 23. I put on a brown border to frame it . Then sent it off to Missouri Star for longarm quilting. The back is also lovely of left over cloud material I once used in a art quilt. I did flange binding to set it off.
This was a unfished project found in the cabinets of my quilting group. The squares cut and sashing's sewn. I just put it all together. I had some checkerboard material in black and white left from another project at home I used for the back. I sent it to Missouri Star for long arm quilting by their experts. Then I added red flange binding with the checkerboard material being the ribbing part. I added a sleeve to hang but also could be used on a table.
Sometime back I went to a estate sale where the primary items were quilting and sewing supplies. There was so much that the estate people I believe were overwhelmed at liquefying everything. I think the lady was a sort of hoarder. However I have much stuff of mine own so best not toss out that adjective she just loved to sew like all of us. I purchased a huge box for $4.00 with tons of projects of which I am working though. Also I purchased a bolt of fabric for $5.00 that I have used on the back of this World Map wall hanging and enough for other items. I purchased a wood grain print fabric to frame this wall hanging . I sent it to Missouri Star for long arm quilting. They are the experts after all.. I chose a design as close to waves as I could find to make the ocean look realistic . It will be in the church fall sale this year. I have a sleeve on the back for it to hang.
Here is another wall hanging of USA map. Like the World Map I posted a few days ago it also large enough to fill a wall and either could be a twin bed covering if person so desired to use it this way. I have sleeve on back to hang however. It was part of my estate sale find $4.00 box. Quilted by Missouri Star a pattern I felt looked like ocean waves and same blue butterfly material on the back. Framed in wood grain pattern material