I asked my niece what color quilt she wanted. I was surprised when she said black and white. I wasn’t excited about doing a black and white quilt, but finally decided on pattern and material and I LOVE how it turned out. I have made a quilt for all my nieces and this is the last one.
My daughter loves lemons and wanted a "lemon quilt". She selected "Splash of Lemon" by Timeless Treasures and the pattern of PopStar from Missouri Quilt Company with backing from Kanvas-Lemon Fresh. We modified the pattern by adding additional border material around each block. It is my first queen-sized quilt. I know there are a ton of mistakes, but I am learning!
My Aunt sent me this pattern. After raiding my friends red and buying the black and whites everywhere I went I got to work. After making the wall hanging I tackled the hearts. The pattern called for felt in the hearts. Since I didn't have a felt stash but did have a lot of red fabrics left I used them. In the evenings I would decorate hearts with beads, buttons and embroidery stitches. Tried not to go to the blanket stitch too much, but boy was it the easiest to fall back on. The pattern showed the stems and hearts in curves around the center heart. I just couldn't get that to look right. The heart garden came to mind because of a button project that we had done. That layout just felt right. Meander stitching in different sizes and echoing the hearts for the quilting finished this. My Aunt loves it. Here is a picture of the Hearts Garden project.
This quilt will go to one of my friend's granddaughters. I loved the colors in this Benartex Liberty Garden Pink Favorites charm pack so much that this is the second charms on point quilt I made in this fabric. I donated the first one to my guild's silent auction. I changed the borders in this one and I placed the same charms along the cut path so the same fabric is on the edges. I made a doll quilt with some left over charm squares. I quilted it with a flower pattern called Daisy Marie. 60" x 60"
Update: I quilted (6th quilt on my longarm) with Urban Elementz "Chantilly" quilting pattern and hand bound. - I saw this "Beautiful Bouquets" pattern in Quilter's World Spring 2020 issue and I knew I wanted to make it as a memory quilt. Last fall an "adopted granddad" for my kids passed away from surgery complications from another bout with cancer. I had worked with ties in quilts before, so when my friend ("adopted grandmother" to my kids) asked if I wanted to make a quilt from her husband's ties for her, I immediately said yes. My friend had to wear a tie everyday at work (before he retired), so he took delight in wearing unusual or unique ties, for example Tigger, Mickey Mouse, An Alien, and a reindeer). The flowers in this quilt top contain parts of 27 ties. My friend hasn't seen it yet as she lives in another state now. I'll quilt it as soon as I get my longarm back from being repaired (bad circuit board). I hope this quilt brings my friend some comfort as she'll be wrapped in his love. I loved using a new Stripology Squared ruler to square up the blocks. 65" x 85" 6/25/2020
Good friends are soon to have a new granddaughter. I used the Baby Kisses quilt tutorial from MSQC. The fabric is from my stash, except for the pale pink minky on the back. I quilted with rulers and free motion feathers and flowers using mauve thread.
I saw this at my LQS and later discovered that Krista Moser was giving a class on this quilt. I have always been drawn to Krista's quilts and timing was perfect. I completed it in March and have enjoyed it on my quilt wall. I am in the process of finishing her Vintage Windmill quilt and have another Semaphore Stripes ready to begin.
Another Covid project done from my stash. The pattern is Sophie Stroller Quilt from Moda. I have made this a few times before and it always comes out cute. It has strips on the sides for securing the quilt to the stroller if needed.
I still have Kansas Troubles and the like fabrics. I think this must be project 6. When I saw the tutorial for the Nine Sisters pattern on the Jordan Fabrics YouTube site it moved to the top of my list! This quilt is a queen size so I adjusted the corners from the pattern to have finished stars. Put a small cream border around it all and then the burgundy large border. I used my Elvira ruler and a straight edge to do the stars. The cream squares between the stars have a single star. The creams separating all the stars have a meander with scattered stars. The final border has "piano keys" at one inch and again scattered stars.
I purchased this fabric 3-4 years ago with the thoughts to make Jenny's Goodnight Irene queen quilt (4 patch X's & O's). Finally finished and I am really happy with this one. This is for one of our guest rooms. The fabric is Spring House by Stephanie Ryan. I wanted a finished block in each corner so it ended up almost a king size. It worked out well as I don't have to have a bed skirt. The quilting was done with a very light blue thread.
I have a sweet friend having her first baby soon. She decided to wait till delivery to find out the gender. This is my attempt at a gender nonspecific quilt. Hope she loves it! Just a simple panel I embellished with mono- poly invisible thread and some boarders, white minky on the back. The pink/purple stripe is ombre polka dot fabric