I was gifted this to make a Quilt of Valor. One square was cut out so the panel had 8 squares and the flag. The squares reminded me of a country fair, so then I thought I’d make Hole in the Barn Door blocks, with them and the alternate fabric pieces. Turned out 65 x 79.5 a little short of my 80 inch or more goal, but I couldn’t cut my borders any wider because of using leftover fabric.
A friend found 25 blocks measuring 19x20. She asked me if I could put them together and make her a quilt. I told her I could but the blocks weren’t going to match up, even though I squared them up to an even 19 inches. She was okay with that. So here is the finish. So for a $4 top, $30 backing, $23 batting, a can of starch and thread (?) she now has a quilt she says she always wanted. It came out 90 inches square.
My quilting and all-around friend passed in April. She left behind a huge stash. 13 sewing machines, 50+ UFOs, 200 kits and so much in tools and patterns. I was able to finish a bunch of her quilts and seeing each month as others are finishing up her projects. The sale was a huge traffic jam success. Thank you to all you quilters who support us in more ways than you can count.
Well, sort of! More styled after a friend’s Red Onion quilt. I had all these “weird” green batiks that I thought why not. So I parked them up and created all these blocks. Then I divided the blocks up by bright and not. When I counted I found I only needed to reclassify one block. Then not following any pattern other than scattering some circles I laid these out. I wanted to learn a meandering leaf quilting pattern so that’s what I did. One went to my aunt and the other was picked by a friend visiting from California. Why are my pictures so blurry, they aren’t to start with?
Fabrics my daughter picked up at Walmart. She cut and sewed the squares into rows then brought the rows to me to cut the side triangles. I cut and pinned them on each end of the rows so she wouldn’t get mixed up, also labeling rows in order. She had also brought me at the same time her backing fabric and batting. After she had came a few times and each time I reminded her that her triangles were on and ready for her to finish, she would always say I’m get them later. Well hubby and I concluded she wasn’t going to get them until I finished it for her. So….
This is the “Barn Star” wall hanging quilt, by Coriander Quilts. It is done in Buttercup and Slate, and measures 40” x 40”. I made a rod pocket following FQS’s tutorial. It is made where the top of the pocket is sewn in with the binding. My dear husband hung it for me this am, September 16, 2023. He is certainly better with the tools than I am! Lol
This was a tutorial I watched on YouTube that Jenny Doan made with the Brightly pattern from cluckclucksew.com Since I have always liked the Irish chain quilts, I really fell in love with this pattern, with the stars. What better way to show a veteran how much he is appreciated! The finished top is 60x84 and will go to our QOV quilter Thursday to be quilted. Thanks again Jenny for a great tutorial!-❤️Toogie
My daughter asked me to make this prayer quilt for her best friend’s baby granddaughter. Seems little Mave has a health problem, so prayers are requested. Anyway, the mom of little Mave likes purple and I like pinwheels-lol I decided to spend a little extra time quilting, while thinking of Mave. I love how the quilting shows on the back! I don’t love the fact that ‘sometimes’ my purple bobbin thread would show at needle holes on the white front, even though I would re-adjust tension on my long arm. I used purple bobbin and white top threads. I meant to wash it before giving, to see if the stitches would look better or sink in more, but I forgot to before I added the ties. It will have to be washed after all prayers are said and threads tied. I think they will like it, my daughter and I do. Have a nice day!
I have been wanting to make a Swoon quilt for awhile now. Since I had a fat quarter bundle before Christmas 2022, I decided to make one. I started the 9 blocks in July 2023, and today…8/27/23 I finished sewing my binding on. (Today is my Mom’s birthday, so I like to think she is shining down from heaven) I went with the Baptist Fan quilting with white thread. Many of Camille’s quilts are done in the Baptist Fan, and I always loved how hers turned out. I am very pleased with the results. This quilt finishes at 80” square. It fits nicely on a queen, with about 11” overhang on each side.
This was a panel from a friend who like me just moved to a retirement community. However, she is not adjusting well and has started give away some of her sewing supplies. She said her little place has no room for all her supplies. So, I finished this panel and as she is part of our quilting group that has a bazaar. It will be offered for sale. The back is angel print. I added the gold and teal and brown to the panel and quilted around each framed photo in panel.
When our daughter (almost 50) said she wanted to make a quilt with some Christmas fabrics she bought long ago, I suggested Jenny’s Double Slice. As her first quilt top ever I thought this wouldn’t be too stressful for her, because the only seams that need to match were the block seams, when joining the rows. I am so proud of her! I quilted and put the binding on and now waiting for her to see. I am always unsure of thread color. I didn’t have a bright red, so I had to use a maroon color. I think it is ok and when it’s washed, the stitches will sink more. It came out 55x72 inches after quilting. Oh, I also told daughter that her outer border looks like lace!-lol There is a YouTube video but it won’t let me add the link here so https://youtu.be/jxC-0T5lXw4 Type in Double Slice quilt tutorial by Missouri Star and it should come up on YouTube search.