I made this memory quilt 30 years ago and it was in major disrepair.. I cut off the edges to make a lap quilt out of the original queen size quilt. I sewed on a new border. I used pieces that had been trimmed off to patch up the back. I covered some small holes with yo-yos to create bubbles and patched the fish with contrasting fabric. I replaced the original ties with crochet floss and did some hand quilting around the new border. Now this quilt can be enjoyed by the next generation.
A friend of mine lost her father in law and asked me to make a memory quilt for his wife;her mother in law. She gave me a pile of his clothes, all jeans and flannel shirts. She also gave me the shirt and dress each had worn at her wedding(used for the center heart). I used Tonga Treats Batiks Freedom minis to supplement them. He was a veteran so it was a perfect fit! I used Shadow Play yardage in natural for the boarders. Tonga Batiks Freedom blue stars for the backing. I asked my friend if he had a favorite flower as I love to add appliqué to my quilts whenever possible. He loved trillium. I created my own trillium appliqués. Of course the best part of any project is getting to see the recipient’s reaction. I was fortunate enough to have friend send me a video of her mother in law opening the quilt. Makes all the hard work worth it
Update: I quilted with Urban Elementz Nemesh's Feather Grande design. I sewed the binding on and took to neighbor's house just in time to be loaded on the moving truck. ---- This is the fabric I picked out for my neighbor's son to piece a quilt while he was home from school because of virus (if he wanted to make one). His two sister's pieced their quilts and I quilted them (posted earlier). He didn't piece it. The family is moving away for a couple years for work, at the end of the month. I decided to make him this quilt. I used the charm on point pattern for the middle (8 x 16 squares), I placed the same fabric on the diagonal cut line, so the outer triangles would be the same fabric (same as border fabric). I added LeMoyne Stars (Lemon stars) to the top and bottom to make it a rectangular quilt. I had some charms left from the 4 charm packs that I had of Wilmington Essentials Sapphire Sky (Beautiful fabric), so I made four patches for the sides. 75" x 87"