This is a free pattern from Jordan Fabrics called almost a lone star. It uses a jelly roll. I added borders to make a queen size quilt to use in my camper. The quilt is 91 by 117. I also used wool batting. It is such a heavy quilt. Binding got alittle wonky with all the pulling and shifting.
Another from my Mother’s stash that I really wondered what to make or even do with it. An idea I had meshed well with a friend’s proposed Magic 8 lesson for our quilting group. We gave each member two 8 inch squares and a specific HST block pattern. We asked them to use one cream or white neutral and then something that matched in a darker color. When all the blocks came in I was charged with assembly and quilting. Well, some of the blocks were small and a few others had hard to make it work colors. I disassembled them and remade them. Layout was pretty easy, I just scattered the darkest purples to give it balance. Then a bunch of borders later it was ready to be quilted. Because of all the thickness at the seams I knew the center could only be quilted with a meander. I put my feathered hook in the cream border and more meander in the outside border. This poor fabric actually made a pretty quilt! So, pull out that weird fabric in your stash and give it a chance.
I wanted to try making these blocks or boxes, so I looked at images to see what was out there. I saw the boxes stacked like these and then other quilts had them ‘floating’. I like both ways, so I made up this baby quilt using both ideas. It measures 39x49 after quilting. I stitched in the ditch around the boxes or blocks and stippling in the background. I also pieces my binding to add a little color around the outer edge. I used the Rhombus Ruler from Missouri Star, not sure if it’s the smallest RR but I think my strips were about 3 1/2 inches. Have a nice day -Toogie
When I saw this block I had to try it. Using more leftovers from my stash I was able to make a large throw size quilt. On a previous quilt I purchased an Omnigrid triangle tool with lots and lots of grid lines that I could first use to square up the bottom edge of the units and then use a Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmer after it was a HST. Really helped make sure I had a good point on the bottom so the secondary pattern worked out. Like usual, purple is very hard to photograph; first is washed out and second looks very grey.
This is mainly constructed from the leftovers from other projects. I saw a quilt on the wall at a quilt store and thought, "Ah Ha!" I know what to do with all those white with black and the brights from a quilt for my Aunt. I did have to buy the yellow for the border, but all the rest came from leftovers or stash. Including the antique fabric from my Mom's Stash I used for the backing! One of those old border fabrics meant for a dress or skirt from the 70's. I did a medium meander through the body, shadowing all the bright squares to they would pop. Then I just played in the yellow border. Swirls, hooks, and feathers with an occasional heart thrown in.
Hello! Just finished piecing this, but can’t hand off to a quilter as our group has decided not to meet, for a while. Covid high here. Will go to a Veteran eventually. This panel seemed to have enough going on that I wanted something simple but meaningful. Never tire of seeing our flag colors. Size 63.5 X 82 Hope all are safe & well-Toogie