This is a free pattern from Jordan Fabrics called almost a lone star. It uses a jelly roll. I added borders to make a queen size quilt to use in my camper. The quilt is 91 by 117. I also used wool batting. It is such a heavy quilt. Binding got alittle wonky with all the pulling and shifting.
This quilt was in the Quick and Easy Quilts Magazine June/July 2021 Issue. I made it for my great nephew. My mother in law is no longer with us but she used to collect owls. I think this might be a quilt my niece might like/cherish. I also added pieces of my mother and father law clothing in the stars. Hope they like it.
Another from my Mother’s stash that I really wondered what to make or even do with it. An idea I had meshed well with a friend’s proposed Magic 8 lesson for our quilting group. We gave each member two 8 inch squares and a specific HST block pattern. We asked them to use one cream or white neutral and then something that matched in a darker color. When all the blocks came in I was charged with assembly and quilting. Well, some of the blocks were small and a few others had hard to make it work colors. I disassembled them and remade them. Layout was pretty easy, I just scattered the darkest purples to give it balance. Then a bunch of borders later it was ready to be quilted. Because of all the thickness at the seams I knew the center could only be quilted with a meander. I put my feathered hook in the cream border and more meander in the outside border. This poor fabric actually made a pretty quilt! So, pull out that weird fabric in your stash and give it a chance.
My Mom finished these embroideries and asked me to assemble and then quilt the quilt for a Great Nephew's 1st birthday. It was all done on my Mom's domestic machine so the quilting is a bit shaky but she was happy and packaged it all up for my Sister to take to the birthday party. Fastest quilt ever! Will need to check my "list of chores" before I go up to visit next time!
I wanted to try making these blocks or boxes, so I looked at images to see what was out there. I saw the boxes stacked like these and then other quilts had them ‘floating’. I like both ways, so I made up this baby quilt using both ideas. It measures 39x49 after quilting. I stitched in the ditch around the boxes or blocks and stippling in the background. I also pieces my binding to add a little color around the outer edge. I used the Rhombus Ruler from Missouri Star, not sure if it’s the smallest RR but I think my strips were about 3 1/2 inches. Have a nice day -Toogie
Recently, my first grader granddaughter and her mother (my daughter) asked me if I could make a new quilt from a well-loved dinosaur quilt that was store-bought fourteen years ago when her brother was 2 years old. The center panel of the quilt was split in two, the edges of the quilt were frayed off, and the batting looked like Swiss cheese. All I could rescue were the thin, mostly faded border pieces of the original quilt. I interfaced the pieces and added pinks and greens from my stash to put together a brighter setting with more girl-appeal. The middle child will be sharing the quilt with her newborn baby sister, pictured on the quilt.
When I saw this block I had to try it. Using more leftovers from my stash I was able to make a large throw size quilt. On a previous quilt I purchased an Omnigrid triangle tool with lots and lots of grid lines that I could first use to square up the bottom edge of the units and then use a Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmer after it was a HST. Really helped make sure I had a good point on the bottom so the secondary pattern worked out. Like usual, purple is very hard to photograph; first is washed out and second looks very grey.
This is mainly constructed from the leftovers from other projects. I saw a quilt on the wall at a quilt store and thought, "Ah Ha!" I know what to do with all those white with black and the brights from a quilt for my Aunt. I did have to buy the yellow for the border, but all the rest came from leftovers or stash. Including the antique fabric from my Mom's Stash I used for the backing! One of those old border fabrics meant for a dress or skirt from the 70's. I did a medium meander through the body, shadowing all the bright squares to they would pop. Then I just played in the yellow border. Swirls, hooks, and feathers with an occasional heart thrown in.
Hello! Just finished piecing this, but can’t hand off to a quilter as our group has decided not to meet, for a while. Covid high here. Will go to a Veteran eventually. This panel seemed to have enough going on that I wanted something simple but meaningful. Never tire of seeing our flag colors. Size 63.5 X 82 Hope all are safe & well-Toogie