While traveling through deep space, you pause to look out a window and admire a nearby galaxy. It's rotational pattern is similar the Golden Spiral (Fibonacci spiral/sequence). This pattern can be found in many places back on Earth. I like the idea of this quilt even though my poor sewing skills have failed to reveal it properly.
My Glorious Granddaughter is graduating from High School this spring. When I asked her if she would like a quilt she said yes! Could it be a throw size in mint and greys? Okkkaay...she sent me to Hobby Lobby to look at the mint dish rags. Which I carried over to the fabric department to see what I could find. WOW! Didn't realize it is the color this year. Found some beautiful fabrics to use in a star pattern I had found sometime ago. I made up several different blocks using the colors and texted them to her. She picked her favorite arrangement and I got started. Yikes, a lot of HST. Friend said to do at the least part of it as flying geese and here is how you do them 4 at once. That was a great time saver. Once together I laid out several choices on borders and texted her again. Going with what turned out to be both of our favorite layout! I used a large flower meander and leave things. (Technical term) The binding is with the same fabric as the outside border; I really like the look of an infinity edge on quilts that I want your eye to go to the center, not the edge.
My Mom had a pile of little block packets from her local fabric shop. She kept part and sent along these. (I quit making them when I had the number needed) With a little finagling of the fabrics I came up with these 12. Bordered with more of the fabric and bound with a purple from my stash it turned out pretty cute. Also from my Mom's stash was a lot of the Ultra Suede fabrics. Quilted using a large meander. They are making fabulous backs. Will go to a nephew and wife who are expecting their first in August.
My husbands baby brother died , losing his battle with cancer, April 27th. A day or two after the funeral, my sister in law Jenny, asked if I would make her a quilt from his western shirts. So...this is it. Most of his shirts had stripes and usually had a red or burgundy in the stripe. Jenny wanted just plain squares blocked off, so I bought the red blended for the sashing and blue blended 108inch for the cornerstones and backing. I felt it was too busy trying to put the squares together because of all the stripes. Also, Jenny didn’t want to sash with a lighter color and since the squares were mostly dark I went bright with the sashing so you could see some division. It is 90 inches x 96 and I just stipple/ free motion quilted. I used a dark gray thread. She has not seen it yet but I plan on giving her this on Fathers Day. I also made something for the daughters and will give them all that day since it will be a hard day for them. Maybe this will give them all a little happiness on their first Father’s Day without him.
Another from my Mother’s stash that I really wondered what to make or even do with it. An idea I had meshed well with a friend’s proposed Magic 8 lesson for our quilting group. We gave each member two 8 inch squares and a specific HST block pattern. We asked them to use one cream or white neutral and then something that matched in a darker color. When all the blocks came in I was charged with assembly and quilting. Well, some of the blocks were small and a few others had hard to make it work colors. I disassembled them and remade them. Layout was pretty easy, I just scattered the darkest purples to give it balance. Then a bunch of borders later it was ready to be quilted. Because of all the thickness at the seams I knew the center could only be quilted with a meander. I put my feathered hook in the cream border and more meander in the outside border. This poor fabric actually made a pretty quilt! So, pull out that weird fabric in your stash and give it a chance.
Also from my Mom's stash were these three fabrics (blue prints) in fairly large quantities. Using the same pattern as from Granddaughters quilt, but putting one of the prints in the center. I ordered by guess and by gosh a white background and sort of turquoise print. Yeah! It worked well enough that with all these was able to get a queen-sized quilt. I will have to edit this when finished; need backing!
My first attempt at a log cabin quilt was many years ago. It was hand pieced, tied and bagged by machine. I still have it but wanted to try some of the new quilting techniques I have learned since undertaking this new hobby before making a new log cabin quilt ( on my to-do list). From my leftover fabrics, I pulled out pieces of red, blue, white -- mostly primary prints to stitch together the log cabin bag. I used • 2-5" squares red print (blocks) • 18-5" squares total assorted cream/yellow prints and light blue prints (blocks) • 18-5" squares total assorted blue prints and black prints (blocks) • 2 store bought red/white stripe heavy duty twine for bag handles -- about 14" • 3⁄8 yard lining print • 3⁄8 yard 1/4" batting My individual finished blocks turned out to be about 3 1/2" square. I used 42" fabric width and precut 5" squares. I used a basic bag pattern and adjusted the blocks to fit the size that I needed. Then quilted it by stitching in the ditch.