A while back a family contacted my Dad about getting some antique pieces out of a house that was about to be torn down. He helped them get out what they wanted and they let him otherwise have whatever he wanted from the house. In a dresser he found a bunch of unfinished dresdens, material, and lots of newspaper clippings. The lady that hand pieced the dresdens name was Lois and she passed a while back. She must have loved quilting etc as I found and put in a 3 inch binder clippings from the paper of quilt patterns dating back to the 1930s, and 1940s. So over the winter with the instruction of my knowledgeable neighbor, I hand appliqued the center and the dresdens onto the background. Some of the material is flower sack. I machine pieced the squares together as well as the borders. My neighbor did the long arm quilting for me. This was my first quilt. I would have hand quilting this but I wanted to make sure I had at least one quilt long-arm quilted by my neighbor so I thought my first quilt would be best. Because my neighbor is a member of the local quilt quild, I was able to enter this quilt in their show they host every other year and it won best in show. ...now I have the quilting bug!.
I was so excited to get this quilt started, loved the colors and the pattern, but.....after it was finished, I hated it. Am I the only one who has this dilemma? I had it stored away so I wouldn't have to look at it. Until an opportunity came along to donate it for an RV Samboree. Apparently, the colors were perfect for the new owners. They loved it, Something they had been looking for for some time. I glad I waited for this one to find a new home with love.
Mother of bride came up with the colors and arrangement. This was for her son. I did all the cutting, sewing and quilting. A bit grainy, photo from old computer. This isn't the best picture, but all I have. The background is white and is quilted with white thread. I took a picture of it with my camera phone from the computer screen and this is how it turned out, sorry guys. I will never see this again.
This Halloween gem of a Spooky Vibes fabric collection by Wilmington Prints makes good use of Crayola Smashed Pumpkin yardage as an accent and Chilled to the Bone black & white yardage by Northcott in the border. I fussy cut the black cats, since dismembered cats are just too spooky for me! I really love the choice of Anne Bright's "Ghostly" by my longarm quilter for the edge-to-edge design.
Designed by Howard Marus for Moda, it's kit #46241 for "Collections for a Cause". This 2017 kit was dedicated to The American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA.org) in loving memory of Gene Stewart, a beloved member of the Moda family. This is my 14th quilt, made between October 2018 & April 2019. My sister (she's Bothtwins here on Quilts by Me) and I have worn Hawaiian shirts for decades during the Seattle summers, which sometimes last as long as 3 weeks in a row although this year (2019) summer lasted the entire month of September! We chose The Sunshine Kit as our first joint quilting project. It was a hoot, and figuring out that back-collar-front-collar business was challenging ~ bouncing ideas off eachother is great for solutions. The finished size is 92 X 93", bigger than the original pattern which ended at the red border, which was the original binding. Then I added 3 floral borders for the width/length I needed for my queen bed. Our top-stitcher, Lyn at camlynquiltsDOTcom, did an edge-to-edge pattern with a curl and a swoosh called 'Repunzel', a pattern she said she could use to stitch around all the 3-D collars. The front collars are free-standing from the shirt fronts. No wonder they were problematic, both to us stitching them and Lyn trying to quilt around them. About half way through the project one of us said "wouldn't it be cute to put buttons on the shirts?" and Lyn said "don't do it before I quilt it" (of course not, duh!) and they are SO CUTE with buttons! If you have a button box this is the perfect time to use it. I also used my friend Karen's button box, because that's a lot of tiny buttons! Thanks Karen! It's suprisingly hard to find 4 or 5 buttons that are the right size and color for 20 tiny shirts. I have so much fabric left over. I bought extra for the borders, then bought more because I didn't like those. I ended up using extra back-side for one of the borders and the binding, so I have plenty of other colors to make cuffs for some pillow cases and maybe another quilt, too, lap size or baby. SO CUTE for a baby quilt, without the buttons of course. posted 102419
A friends daughter wedding quilt. Mother is hand quilting in the center of the star block. I apologize for the bad photo, it was taken from an old computer with a phone camera. These are her wedding colors. Mother of bride chose the pattern and was a surprise for her daughter and future husband, She also named the quilt.