Another from the fabrics my Mom sent home with me. Scraps from my Grandma, Mom, and my stash that I cut into squares and put into bags by color. More in that later. Then wondered what to make, I did try to make other things from them, I think there is a blue one posted here. Then I saw Jenny’s tutorial called Checkered Dresden on the scrappy Dresden plate. So I stacked a 2.5 square and two 3 inch squares and then cut my “feathers” for the plates. And boy, did I not really care about colors other than it shouldn’t be the same or really clash. I appliquéd them to a giant piece of white. Then went on a mission to find a border print that was reminiscent of these older fabrics. Since I had all these big white areas I really wanted to try some of the big “arty” designs in my quilting. I sat and drew with my chalk pencil right on the quilt until each part of the design came together. What I learned, well as I hinted above, I won’t whack my scraps into squares, it really limited what I could do. I will drag out my sheet of stiff plastic and my water soluble marker and design on that.
I was inspired by Jenny's Baby Blocks Quilt. I decided to use charms squares instead of 2 1/2" squares. I ended up with huge white corners and triangles. It took several months to decide on the appliqué design to fill all the white space and another year to finish all the appliqué. I think Kendyl is going to love it because she loves purple!
I like the design and really like the colors but the stitching I did was the worst I have ever done. I almost put it away except I got some advice from the fellow who does the quilting. He said if I gave this quilt to one of my grandkids, they would love it because it was from me and they would not care if some corners or points don’t line up or the stitches are crooked. None of the stuff that bothered me will make any difference to them. I liked that a lot. So, I finished it. And, I will remember that advice from now on.
I found this unquilted grandmother's fan top at a vintage sidewalk sale in Phoenix. It is both hand and machine pieced, fabrics are likely from 30s-80s. Possibly a multigenerational effort. It was in pretty rough shape, some of the seams were pulled apart and a few of the fabrics were slightly shredded. I repaired with fusible interfacing from the backside and then quilted it pretty heavily. It should stand the test of time now. The upper right block is set in backward. I left it to honor the maker(s).
Made for my 8 year old grandson with “sports” as was his request! Used some fabric from stash that he has either liked or was with me when I bought it. Also used an old flannel shirt pocket. He uses it for one of his little “stuffies” stuffed animals. It is made with flannel, fleece, cotton fabrics and backed with a solid piece of flannel.
I just finished this quilt top, which still needs to be quilted and bound. Since the fabric is very specific to the pattern by Desiree Habicht, I purchased a kit. It's a good-sized quilt, 72" x 82", and I'm ruminating on how to quilt it on my Domestic machine. The quilt is for my teen grandson, who now towers above me.
My granddaughter has taken in her boyfriend’s younger sister. Then they bought a house. So, figured that young lady might like to have a quilt. I sent my daughter and granddaughter a picture of some polka dots fabrics and two ideas for quilts. She told me the young lady loves plants, cats and butterflies! Can you believe I got all three in one quilt! The butterflies are appliqué; so glad I only did six! I started quilting on the first tulip and realized I really didn’t have a great idea what to do. By the third one, they all seemed to be asking to be unique. And even the leaves got in on the act. So, while some elements might be the same the designs change by what that flower “told” me what it wanted. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! I put a small meander between the flowers and a hook rose meander around the outer edge of the flowers. The green border is sewn like piano keys so I could pretend it looked like lawn mower markers.
This is a Fons & Porter QOV pattern in the September/October 2019 issue of Love of Quilting. It's called Americana Pinwheels. Was a challenging pattern for me. Quilt finished at 64 x 76. Presented to an Air Force Veteran on Friday. Background fabric is Marcus Fabrics "Concrete" by Timeworn Toolbox Designs. The rest were scraps and pieces from my stash. I used a wide backing, My favorite longarmer quilted Loops & Stars