I made this for my son's AF promotion later this summer. The pattern is from one of Donna Roberson's 3 yard quilt patterns (from her latest book) but made it larger and positioned the non-star block differently than she suggested in her pattern layout. It has AF cotton fabric on the back.
This is the first of several quilts I’m working on for Christmas presents for my 6 adult children . This quilt is actually my second quilt. I used a layer cake named Coral Canyon and a white layer cake from Missouri Star Quilts. I am now in the process of adding the borders one 3 inch border of sea foam and emerald green and one 4 inch border of Coral Canyon of coral reef. The son that this is going to is the Captain of a crew/supply boat in the gulf out of Venice Louisiana.
I quilted my friends quilt top (circus pattern) for her with Urban Elementz "Day Tripper". She used Linework jelly roll and a colorful jelly roll too. My friend made this quilt for her husband. I used Hobbs Premium 80/20 batting and Omni Fountain Mist thread. 86" x 92"
Update: I quilted with Wasatch Quilting design Daisy 2021 and hand bound. I made this quilt top for my Aunt. My Aunt's favorite colors are pink and green. The background fabric has cream with green leaves on it. It is made of nine patch blocks alternated with another nine patch block that has four patches in the corners. I love chaining four patches. I used some vintage fabric for this quilt. I've been making quilts for all my aunts. I have one more quilt to make. I hope to quilt it tomorrow. 62" 71"
Remember the border print fabric from the 70's? They were used to make the Sheath dresses. In my Mom's stash was one cut out in blues and fabric for another in pinks. We thought they would make neat wall hangings. When the fabric popped to the top of the To-Do pile, I thought they would look the best as the window looking out to the garden. After a google image search I found one that more closely resembled the idea in my head. While the narrow strips and Y-seams were a bit challenging it was more challenging to make sure the sashings were perfectly lined up when putting it all together. Using my chalk pencil I transferred the intersections on the long white strips. It worked really well! I only had to adjust (unsew) one intersection! We will now have to go on fabric safari's to find the perfect border prints. We want them to resemble wallpaper in the room. Not sure what that is until we audition a bunch of fabrics! I am planning on stitch in the ditch for the sashings and will do a lot of stitching around the flowers in the garden. I sent my Mom the picture of the blue one and she immediately claimed it. Which is exactly what I expected to happen, What I didn't expect is she wanted another one in the pinks for my Aunt. Yikes! Had to go shopping for the fabrics as the first was created from bits of grays in my stash. I was able to create 5 kits with pattern out of the remaining fabrics. (just the window, no outside border fabric included) I have 1 of the blue and 2 of the pink left. See my profile for contact information.
Mom's projects. This is another project where I needed to finish by doing the quilting. Then we were stuck, the project was old enough I really didn't think we would find the funny blue/purple we needed to bind it. But, the there it was in the last store of the day!