I made Bookmarks for my niece, who is a professor of English. It is based on a pattern called Ribbon Box by Michelle Engel Bencsko. Quilting designs on figured fabric mimic the fabric design. Plain fabrics have other designs. Hand pieced, hand quilted, 55” x 65".
I made this for my great-niece, who has a thing going with her grandma (my sister) about birds. This was my first time using a panel and I struggled with how to incorporate the smaller pictures into the quilt. After lots of looking at quilts, I came up with this design. Hand stitched and hand quilted, 60" square.
I made this for a great-niece, whose mom was adopted from Korea and her dad is Korean and they live in the US. So Trip Around the World is an appropriate pattern for her quilt! I quilted hearts in some of the plain squares to show she's surrounded by love. After I bought the animal fabric, my artist son chose most of the coordinating fabrics. Hand stitched and hand quilted, 63" square.
It started from the Rock Star pattern in the October 2017 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting. Using up all those long strips of fabric. The pattern calls for using all 1.5 inch strips, but I just squared up the strip and used random widths; which was fortuitous as I didn’t have to worry about matching up seams when I sewed the triangles together! Yippee! I sewed strips in like colors and sewed strips and sewed strips. I did try sewing together little pieces to get the triangles but finally decided that was just too much. So, I saved them incase I needed a specific color. I first followed the pattern, but then branched out for the color spectrum ones. And finally using the last of the pieces for a very random lap rug. Did some point to point in the stars and everything else was medium meander.
A person in our club shared this. It looked fun so thought I would try it. She had a complicated move everything pattern to follow so I just tried turn all the outside blocks 180 in their spot. Yep, worked just fine and didn’t have to turn the center. In Jenny’s tutorial she does turn her center so her stars are a bit different. I thought they made bow ties, I didn’t see the stars anymore so was glad I’d left it the way the club pattern had them. Then came the layout, could do it so you had a checkerboard pattern or an apple core type secondary pattern. Did an all over medium meander.
This was a Man Sewing pattern using the MSQ large half hexi template. I made good use of my design wall as I laid this one out! I know I keep saying the quilts tell me…but it really seems they do. This one wanted me to do an all-over (edge to edge) design I have never attempted. My machine is a sit down totally FMQ so my all-over design usually is a meander. But this one wanted me to do a big, like 6 inches or more version of the Hook Rose as the all-over design. A quick practice and then using my Martelli 8 inch ring I went for it. And a bunch of digging I found a suitable green to create a flange binding.
This is from APQ October 2019. Possibly the second time I’ve used this pattern. This time I changed the cutting for less waste and it went really well. The quilt decided it just wanted to be outlined around the colors. It did involve quite a few thread breaks; but think it really highlights the fabrics. It also was my first time creating the spiral on the bias binding. Don’t stretch it, don’t stretch it! :)
Loved this when I saw it. Went and looked up the tutorial and thought ok, I can do this. Let me tell you right here in black and white this was a test of my precision sewing and patience. First off, main machine in shop so was using my travel machine and found out the hard way my 1/4 inch foot wasn’t! That meant everything was off and I had to measure every seam to make sure it was stitched correctly while also pinning and flipping seams so the nestled to get all the fine points and junctions this design needs to really make it turn out. Many of my seams were 1/8 or even less to get them to line up. Framed it with a white border to get the pieces to pop a then a black print border to get the whole thing to float. Medium meander in the white backgrounds and border and outline stitch around the pieces.
These were a bunch of charms through a pieces of paper. I whacked them all out and sewed them up into the same pattern. Then using the rest of the charms as themselves, I laid out this design. Not catching until it was all finished that one of the little critters had a mistake! Figured it might make for a fun “treasure hunt.” A medium meander through out the backing and of course the outline of the design squares to make it all pop.