My son went to Beirut, Lebanon in June 2022 to visit a friend. While there he wanted to bring me back a gift of fabric. All they had was upholstery fabric and he bought 4 yards. When he brought it home I thought it would make a great one block wonder. Well, the fabric is heavy, hard to work with. Seams don’t line up and are very thick. I got tired of it and I let it sit for months. My son kept asking when I was going to finish it. Well, I finally did. He’s happy and I’m happy it’s done.
I have all this beautiful gold Christmas fabrics that were calling to me. After making the blocks I googled quilt borders and started pouring through the images. I found one that was piano keys, but they added a spacer fabric and a highlight and then more spacer fabric. I thought, hmmm, if I turned that highlight on point then it could be quilted to look like candles. A bit of fussing about until I got it (make them a bit long, then trim after assembly). I then had to figure out the corners. Three ideas, about 8 variations until my design team (darling daughter and granddaughter) agreed we’d gotten it right. Darling daughter wants me to do a swirly flame type quilting above the candles so I added one of ore strip if white to give me room. I found an acceptable flannel for the backing; but it will now go to the back burner as other things have jumped ahead. But I wanted to share!
Needed a project to take to the hills. Took a layer cake and then found the strip in my stash. Have been wanted to make this pattern with patriotic so this was a “practice”. Found the fleece with bats at Joanns. My daughter loved it so gave it to her. She proudly displayed it. :)
Well, the picture looks very Christmasy but closer inspection it isn’t! This is another in the collections of older fabrics I recently acquired. This is also the first time I actually used ribbon candy quilting pattern. Something I’ve been opposed to because it seemed over used to me. But, the narrow border and the older fabrics really called for it.
More in the acquired stash, this packet had two panels and a bunch of coordinating fabrics. I decided to do a log cabin type pattern. Not thinking how big these would get. And one was weird sized so it threw everything off. Sewed them all and assembled only to realize it was now almost a twin bed sized quilt in a baby motif! Not going to happen! So I took the weird sized one and its row partner off. Took them apart and stacked them. Put borders on and called it as I was DONE! Was able to use a lot of the extra fabrics as backing. Stitched in the ditch and outlined the critters. One is bound with grey the other I used the leftover strips cut for the log cabins.
Recently I saw a flower quilt that intrigued me. Their flower petals flipped down, I thought they needed to stand up. After playing around with different rulers, Dresden plate to name one, I think I ended up just whacking at a piece of paper because I wanted the petals bigger than the white areas. Don’t forget to add your seam allowances back in! The stem and leaves worked out pretty much the same way. Definitely designed on point, but what to do. I probably tried 7 different layouts; this one with a simple sashing was the clear winner. Quilted with a ruler in the petals and a medium-small meander in the white. I left the leaves to poof.