A friend found 25 blocks measuring 19x20. She asked me if I could put them together and make her a quilt. I told her I could but the blocks weren’t going to match up, even though I squared them up to an even 19 inches. She was okay with that. So here is the finish. So for a $4 top, $30 backing, $23 batting, a can of starch and thread (?) she now has a quilt she says she always wanted. It came out 90 inches square.
Saw this in the Love of Quilting March/April 2023 and thought these older fabrics would make up really well. It went to gather really well. The long curvy white spaces really called for feathers. Which I then echoed and filled in the leftover spaces with pebbles. All piecing is outlined to make it poof. I seem to be on a make the pieces poof quilting style. Just really like how it makes it all stand out.
This interlocking pattern looks like the start of a foot race. All the different teams bunched together, taking off at the same time. Just a thought. 72” x 78” The black is too stark, bold. It overshadows the blue and tan. I had a lot of trouble getting intersections to line up nicely.
I had started the blocks for this quilt and then put it away for a bit. I took the pieces on a long trip with me but didn’t take along a finished block. When I got home again, I found I’d put the stars together the opposite way from how I’d started. You can see the two different ways at the bottom of the photo. I gave the quilt to a friend, who has since passed away. I don't know what happened to the quilt. Finished March 1984, hand stitched and hand quilted.