This was 3 years in the making. The colored fabrics are batiks. The center pattern is called Old Sawmill. I decided to do the top, bottom and sides something different. I ran out of the white on white during the pandemic and Puddleducks Quilts in England sent me the fabric I needed. I then had to figure out how to finish it, do the calculations and then execute it. I sent it to our local long arm quilter who put pattern Eve in blue thread on it. Binding is a dark blue batik. I'm very happy with the results.
This fabric was given to me by the choir director at our church. She said I purchased thinking I would make maybe a tablecloth or runner or placemats. I had it for several years not knowing what to do with it. So I asked her which did she want this year? She said make whatever as I do not want it. It was a applique piece but had match yardage for back. So now it is a Christmas tree skirt.
Designed by Howard Marus for Moda, it's kit #46241 for "Collections for a Cause". This 2017 kit was dedicated to The American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association (AARDA.org) in loving memory of Gene Stewart, a beloved member of the Moda family. This is my 14th quilt, made between October 2018 & April 2019. My sister (she's Bothtwins here on Quilts by Me) and I have worn Hawaiian shirts for decades during the Seattle summers, which sometimes last as long as 3 weeks in a row although this year (2019) summer lasted the entire month of September! We chose The Sunshine Kit as our first joint quilting project. It was a hoot, and figuring out that back-collar-front-collar business was challenging ~ bouncing ideas off eachother is great for solutions. The finished size is 92 X 93", bigger than the original pattern which ended at the red border, which was the original binding. Then I added 3 floral borders for the width/length I needed for my queen bed. I used a Hobbs Tuscany Silk Batt. Our top-stitcher, Lyn at camlynquiltsDOTcom, did an edge-to-edge pattern with a curl and a swoosh called 'Repunzel', a pattern she said she could use to stitch around all the 3-D collars. The front collars are free-standing from the shirt fronts. No wonder they were problematic, both to us stitching them and Lyn trying to quilt around them. About half way through the project one of us said "wouldn't it be cute to put buttons on the shirts?" and Lyn said "don't do it before I quilt it" (of course not, duh!) and they are SO CUTE with buttons! If you have a button box this is the perfect time to use it. I also used my friend Karen's button box, because that's a lot of tiny buttons! Thanks Karen! It's suprisingly hard to find 4 or 5 buttons that are the right size and color for 20 tiny shirts. I have so much fabric left over. I bought extra for the borders, then bought more because I didn't like those. I ended up using extra back-side for one of the borders and the binding, so I have plenty of other colors to make cuffs for some pillow cases and maybe another quilt, too, lap size or baby. SO CUTE for a baby quilt, without the buttons of course. Also, that is the cutest calico in the world. She is also the best cat in the world. posted 102419 edited 092521