I am in a quilt group with six other ladies. Some of us have been together for over 30 years! We decided to do a challenge project. Each member gathered a "stash" and made the first row to guide the development of the rest of the quilt. The stash and completed rows were passed each month until everyone had completed a row for each person. The owner then put it together. Here is mine....Civil War material so everyone chose pieced squares!! A fun project!!
I've owned the Spare Change Ruler for some time and decided it was time to experiment. I used both a Moda Charm Pk and a Mini-Charm Pk using the Collection For A Cause Mill Book Series circa 1852. I think it is precious but what surprised me most was how small the finished project was...24" x 28". An entire charm pk and mini-Charm pk was used, no waste whatsoever.
I made this quilt for my mother-in-law who is in a nursing home. Her hands are always so cold so I put a pocket lined with fuzzy softness to help her keep warm. I put her name on it in big bold letters so that there was no mistake where it belonged. The blocks are a Civil War block that I thought was pretty. It has a touch of yellow which is her favorite color. I made it as a lap quilt to help keep her warm. I quilted it in yellow thread on my long arm machine.
Okay, it's not a quilt. I am always looking for a way to display quilts and finding a stand that is too short for a large quilt, not wide enough for anything really then a table runner seems to be the only Big Box Store items available. This is made from a crib that is no longer considered safe for a baby because the rungs of the sides are too far apart. Both sides were simpley screwed together on an angle & using parts of the ends to support them. A few rungs were removed from the bottom and placed on top. A can of spray paint and whaa-laaa!
This is a pattern from Laundry Basket Quilts. A friend and I agreed on civil war prints and each made half of the HSTs. So it was a big surprise taking out all of her blocks and seeing what colors she chose. I tried to chose quilting designs that would accent the star. I did microstipeling on the background, and quilted the star in straight lines accenting the angles. The applique is raw egde finished with a zig zag stitch in clear thread. This was a ton of fun and very rewarding. I have it hanging up in my living room.
I found these strips from the RJR Little Big Quilts line (reproductions) and they looked so tasty. I figured out how to make an 80x80 quilt from one set and was very pleased with the plan. However, not so pleased with the execution! It's just not as pretty as I'd pictured in my head! Still, I can used the idea on any strip set to get a big quilt with a small investment. Haven't quilted this one yet.
My nephew in California has M.S. and is always cold. When he saw some quilted bags I made he asked me if I would make him a quilt. When I saw the tutorial for the Five and Dime I knew it would be the perfect one for him to use as a lap quilt to take with when he was in his chair. I made a bag to match that can be put on his wheelchair to take with him. I did the machine quilting on this one myself!