During our Covid lockdown in 2020, I decided to attempt to use up some of my twenty years worth of scrap fabric. The end result was 10 quilt tops destined for the NICQ ward at Vancouver Women's hospital. They are all 36 x 36 with flannel backing. The tops languished in my sewing room when I was unable to get batting and flannel backing. I now have those items so no more excuses. Here are six finished quilts I managed to work my way through quite a lot of fabric and thread and found I had to be creative when I didn't have quite as much as I needed. It made me think this must be what quilting was like in the past when we couldn't just order what we wanted online from 1000's of choices.
I love the look of batiks and love working with them. When I saw Jenny's tutorial on the Confetti Star, I knew it would look great with an assortment of batiks. I quilted it on a long arm using a pantograph. I am very happy with the way it turned out, although I didn’t think I would ever finish hand stitching the binding.
Update: I quilted with Urban Elementz Nemesh's Feather's Grande. I hand bound it with a dark red. ** I made a scrappy twin size quilt top of the Cambie Quilt pattern. I'm a pattern tester for Amateur Quilting Hour. I've been making quilts for my Aunts. This is the last quilt to make for my Aunts. My Aunt picked the colors. I picked the fabrics and pattern. I hope to quilt it soon. 68.5" x 92.5"
This quilt is for a good friend. I used the, tree, star, and house blocks from Miss Rosie's Farmhouse Favorites. The barn and church block patterns I found on the internet and made a couple of modifications so they fit with the other blocks. I used wool batting and minky on the back.
My husbands baby brother died , losing his battle with cancer, April 27th. A day or two after the funeral, my sister in law Jenny, asked if I would make her a quilt from his western shirts. So...this is it. Most of his shirts had stripes and usually had a red or burgundy in the stripe. Jenny wanted just plain squares blocked off, so I bought the red blended for the sashing and blue blended 108inch for the cornerstones and backing. I felt it was too busy trying to put the squares together because of all the stripes. Also, Jenny didn’t want to sash with a lighter color and since the squares were mostly dark I went bright with the sashing so you could see some division. It is 90 inches x 96 and I just stipple/ free motion quilted. I used a dark gray thread. She has not seen it yet but I plan on giving her this on Fathers Day. I also made something for the daughters and will give them all that day since it will be a hard day for them. Maybe this will give them all a little happiness on their first Father’s Day without him.
My Glorious Granddaughter is graduating from High School this spring. When I asked her if she would like a quilt she said yes! Could it be a throw size in mint and greys? Okkkaay...she sent me to Hobby Lobby to look at the mint dish rags. Which I carried over to the fabric department to see what I could find. WOW! Didn't realize it is the color this year. Found some beautiful fabrics to use in a star pattern I had found sometime ago. I made up several different blocks using the colors and texted them to her. She picked her favorite arrangement and I got started. Yikes, a lot of HST. Friend said to do at the least part of it as flying geese and here is how you do them 4 at once. That was a great time saver. Once together I laid out several choices on borders and texted her again. Going with what turned out to be both of our favorite layout! I used a large flower meander and leave things. (Technical term) The binding is with the same fabric as the outside border; I really like the look of an infinity edge on quilts that I want your eye to go to the center, not the edge.
I used the Quick and Easy Block Tool book for the flower blocks and then added the borders. Quilted on my longarm babylock coronet. Quilters dream white poly batting for extra loft and pale pink minky on the back. The flanged binding was a bit disappointing, The dark gray flange fabric shows through the diagonal pink stripe binding making it look a little dingy. Lesson learned.
In January of 2017 I ventured into choosing fabric for a quilt. I found a floral print that was part of a collection called Home Again. It is still one of my favorite fabrics. This was an ambitious King size quilt project and took several months to finish.