This quilt is the Moda Blockheads 3 quilt. It was a block a week for all of 2020. I worked on it the whole time I was in lockdown from the Covid 19 pandemic. When I finally finished putting all of the blocks together, the quilt felt very chaotic to me and the pandemic was a chaotic time so I thought that Pandemic Chaos was an appropriate name for this quilt. It will be gifted to my sister-in-law Shelli.
I made this quilt for my dad using lots different fabrics featuring some of his favorite things. I included piano keys, crossword puzzles, blueberry & fish prints. The size is 60"x80", I big stitch quilted it in a zigzag pattern. It was a surprise for Father's Day last year. I was thrilled that he was very proud of his quilt.
The winter scrap project from 2019-2020. For several years, I have endeavored to do a large quilt from scraps during the winter months. It's my way of trudging through January and February, then waiting out March for spring. With bright colors and batiks, it's hard to throw away the smaller scraps! So I used 1" black sashing and just built blocks in an assembly line. No hurry, it was a joy to work on. I just tried to keep the colors balanced as the blocks grew. Originally, I planned to make the whole quilt one large block. Again, it was just too much. Dividing it with wider black sashing helped settle it down--easier on the eye. That is, the eye can take in one section at a time without being overwhelmed about where to look. This quilt went to a lovely and loving home--always the absolute best outcome!
This is a first for me; Paper Piecing. I was browsing through my hometown quilt shop and saw the store sample hanging up in aaaaaall it's glory. It was LOVE at first site. I snagged the SMALL package and went on my merry way. When I got home, I started studying the information included... and I quickly took a step back. What did I just buy?!?! Silly me. Then I hopped on the computer and tried to find tutorials... and I was in luck! Found one, watched it, then took the pattern for a test drive. Happy to say, the project wasn't a disaster and was actually a nice challenge.
I had started this quilt some time ago as a gift for my son and daughter in law. I soon realized that I wanted something bigger for them and the quilt top was packed away. A friend is doing a fund raiser for a horse rescue called Second Step Equine. It seemed like a good time to finish the quilt and find it a home while hopefully raising some money for this good cause. The quilting took a lot of time and a lot of thread so I hope someone likes it and pays for it!