The reason for taking up quilting was I wanted to make something for my granddaughter to be. The first 2 projects were to help me gain confidence enough to make this for our little Thea. My daughter in law gave the colourway, they live in NZ and me in Devon, UK. I passed the colourway onto the lovely ladies in the quilting shop, as we were in lockdown I had to rely totally on them, they chose so well. I cut the fabric, pieced and quilted and am very pleased as is daughter in law, hopefully Thea will love this as she grows and know how much love went into it's making.
I bought two yards of fleece fabric and wanted to make a baby tie quilt. I got to thinking about a baby sucking on the fleece ties and thought that wouldn't be good. So I did a little research and I found this cool braided edge option. I think it turned out nice and can't wait to make some more!
This is mainly constructed from the leftovers from other projects. I saw a quilt on the wall at a quilt store and thought, "Ah Ha!" I know what to do with all those white with black and the brights from a quilt for my Aunt. I did have to buy the yellow for the border, but all the rest came from leftovers or stash. Including the antique fabric from my Mom's Stash I used for the backing! One of those old border fabrics meant for a dress or skirt from the 70's. I did a medium meander through the body, shadowing all the bright squares to they would pop. Then I just played in the yellow border. Swirls, hooks, and feathers with an occasional heart thrown in.
This is another of my Mom's projects. She had all of the embroideries complete and even some of the quilting. I finished the quilting, binding and even and enough left to make an apron with a stray Embroidery. When I showed it all to my Mom she said that is exactly what she was thinking she would do with the stray embroidery.
I loved improv quilts many years before I tried them. I picked up a little sack of odd colored, odd patterned, 18" flannel squares at the MRC fundraiser one year. Instead of planning this quilt, I chose a solid to match or contrast with each flannel piece, then cut them to make the largest balanced blocks possible. Then I filled in with strips and arranged them as balanced as possible with respect to each color. Very happy with how this one turned out. Recently it made its way from the closet to the wall in the living room for the summer.
Another from my Mother’s stash that I really wondered what to make or even do with it. An idea I had meshed well with a friend’s proposed Magic 8 lesson for our quilting group. We gave each member two 8 inch squares and a specific HST block pattern. We asked them to use one cream or white neutral and then something that matched in a darker color. When all the blocks came in I was charged with assembly and quilting. Well, some of the blocks were small and a few others had hard to make it work colors. I disassembled them and remade them. Layout was pretty easy, I just scattered the darkest purples to give it balance. Then a bunch of borders later it was ready to be quilted. Because of all the thickness at the seams I knew the center could only be quilted with a meander. I put my feathered hook in the cream border and more meander in the outside border. This poor fabric actually made a pretty quilt! So, pull out that weird fabric in your stash and give it a chance.